free-range but fenced....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dainerra, Jun 12, 2011.

1. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    the last couple days, the girls have decided that the best place to be is my neighbor's veggie garden. The neighbors on the other side don't mind them being over there - three entire 1 acre lots are open to them, but NO!!! the veggie garden is the only place they want to be. I am trying to find a quick and easy fence solution to keep them from wandering too far. I was thinking something like this
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...googlebase-_-D22X-_-100384030&locStoreNum=513

it's only 4' but it's not going to be a full-time containment, just a few hours a day for free-ranging. think it would work?

2. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    They will be able to jump it...but they might decide not to. My run is about 4' high and they only sometimes decide to jump out.

3. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    Why don't you offer to buy the neighbors deer or pond netting, T posts with PVC to fit over the T posts and PVC across for framework for their garden? Just a suggestion, but would 1-Save Money, 2-Solve Problem, 3-Not look so ugly. My girls are pigs and will do almost anything possible to get into my garden including trying to dig under. [​IMG]

4. dainerra

Jun 4, 2011
    her garden covers almost 2 acres, so a bit much to fence in

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    It would work if you clip their wings.

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    there was a thread today that said chickens were flying out of his 7 ft fence! Most of my chickens would stay in a 4 ft fence, it might depend on how good they are at flying. the other option is to put netting on top.

7. dainerra

Jun 4, 2011
    well, $25 for 100ft I think would give them plenty of space without wanting to fly over. don't care if it's kind of ugly. I'm hoping that if I block off their common route to her yard they will range in the other direction

8. raskal825

raskal825 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    Suffield, CT
    Quote:That's what we use for our garden and works well as long as the gate is closed. Raskal825

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by