free range chickens destroying everything!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nefarmgal, Jan 25, 2011.

1. nefarmgal

nefarmgal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    I have 18 chickens that free range almost every day, lately they have scratched and rolled in all of my flower beds and strawberry patch. I don't care about it too much now, because it is winter, but come spring, how am I going to keep anything alive? They have a run that is 12 x 10, but they are so used to being out that I would hate to leave them in all summer. Last summer they were little so it wasn't an issue. I can fence my garden, but how do I keep them out of ornamental plants and off my deck?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I just plain don't let mine near gardens, but I have a full pasture to "free range" mine on. Before that though, I got chicken wire and gated up all the gardens. They surprisingly obeyed the 2 foot fencing.

3. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    you won't. Don't try, it's hopeless. Whereever they found the best insects, best dirt to sunbath in, that's where they will head as soon as they are out.

Keep them shut up, let them out little in evening when you can watch them. or you can fence in everywhere you don't want them.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I feel your pain. Unfortunately, when chickens fre range the don't know the "off limit" areas. They will free range everywhere. I had the same problem. I also hate to keep them locked up, so I had to decide which one did I love the most. Either my colorful flower beds or the chickens. I chose the chickens. I now have the plants that they take NO interest in (elephant ears, and other GREEN plants. etc.)

You can still let them free range but do it while you are outside and you can supervise them. Kinda like letting a baby play outside with you being there. I wish I had more ideas for you but I don't.

5. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    Samething happend to me. I had to put 2 foot fencing around all my flower gardens. If I leave my deck open they come up and peck all my tomatoes. When they see me come yelling they know and run off but there really is nothing else you can do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by