1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free Range Chickens Locked in

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FloridaGal, Aug 31, 2016.

1. FloridaGal

FloridaGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Advice needed, please. Our four chickens are let out of their locked coop every morning at daylight, and locked in at sunset. All day they free range in our large yard, and they love it.
    We are having torrential rains right now, part of the coming tropical storm. It will be two days of heavy rain, wind, and a flooded yard. This morning, I did not let the chickens out, and I expect the weather won't clear until sometime Friday. They are squawking and screeching out there, not happy about being locked in. They have food and water, and nest boxes.
    Will they survive this trauma?
    Julie

2. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    As long as they have enough space and to get away from one another if they should start picking on each other. Hope this helps!

3. FloridaGal

Apr 9, 2012
    It is a small coop, but has an upper and lower area, so they can definitely move around some, but, boy, are they being loud!
    Thanks.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How small, is upper and lower...in feet by feet?
    Will the lower portion flood?
    Got pics?

5. FloridaGal

Apr 9, 2012
    The coop is I think 6 feet by 4 feet, and 5 feet high. There are three nest boxes on the upper level. I hope it doesn't flood there. The coop is on one of the highest levels of the yard, with water about six feet away from it right now.

6. FloridaGal

Apr 9, 2012
    I am trying to add a photo, through the screen. How do I add one?

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you're on lap/desktop there's an image icon (mountain and sun) ....of you're on mobile app, I don't have a clue.

8. FloridaGal

Apr 9, 2012
    I am on my iPad, on the web site. But clicking on the add images icon doesn't add it.

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  10. patvetzal

patvetzal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Bancroft, Ontario
    Why don't you just let them out if they want to go. They will get wet and eventually return ti the nice dry coop. We have RIR's and leghorns. The RIR's will stand in the rain for hours...The leghorns are smarter...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by