Free range chickens with free range peafowl?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by neffchick, Sep 20, 2011.

1. neffchick

neffchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    San Diego
    I have been reading other post and read one that said it is not good for peafowl to be with chickens because they can carry a worm that is deadly to the peafowl.
    So my question is if I have free range chickens can I let my peafowl free range as well? I only live on 1/3 acre and I know the peafowl will go of my property and roost in the trees but I am sure they will be on the same ground as the chickens as well. There are many different type of birds around here as well. Could they get something from them?
    I did not plan on letting them free range before the spring time, but I want to get everything right before I do.

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Mine free range with geese,ducks,guineas,and chickens and do fine but i do open their old pen and let them in and worm them every 3 months with safe guard and they are very happy & health.

I do have alot of land that they range on so they only stay around the chickens when its resting time or time to eat.

3. neffchick

neffchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    San Diego
    [​IMG]
    Thank you. I was getting a little worried after reading some of the posts. I do not think they have had worm meds before so I will get that asap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by