free range chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fishingdude93, Aug 30, 2010.

1. fishingdude93

fishingdude93 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    I have a flock of 16 chickens. About half the flock are roosters. There is one really dominant rooster. We let our flock out in the morning and they come back at night. There is one problem. They are starting to go to far from the house. Is there a way to keep them closer to the house other than a fence.

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Firstly, welcome! In answer to your question, Not that I know of / not really... [​IMG] If they freerange all during the day, you may end up losing them to dogs, coyotes, etc. Chickens are usually very curious and will actively search out mulch, leaf litter, soft spots in the soil, and other such places where there may be yummy bugs hiding. They aren't really that good at observing property lines... [​IMG]

3. fishingdude93

Aug 30, 2010
    i have not lost a chicken yet. They have been free ranging for 4 months. Thanks for the info though.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Some folks only let theirs out in the evening and find that they don't stray as far from the coop that close to roosting time. Other than a fence, there really isn't a way to keep them in close.

5. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Where are they wondering off to? The reason I ask is... We recently bush-hor hogged the pasture next to our house. Since then the chickens have been doing a little more distant "exploring". They never went out there when it was grown up with grass and weeds.

6. fishingdude93

Aug 30, 2010
    They go as far as 150 yards two houses down.

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:That's true. Mine don't wander as far if there's tall grass or brush in the way.

Maybe some shrubs would be an option instead of a fence?

8. TheFeatheredTempest

TheFeatheredTempest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    NW Illinois
    I let mine out in late afternoon and they seldom leave the yard. But if they do I herd them back in and scold them and they seem to have learned "the rules". I don't have a roo right now but when I did he would lead the girls off on all manner of adventures beyond the yard.

9. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I think 150 yards is probably close to their comfort zone distance from the coop but your problem is there are houses in the distance! We don't have close nieghbors and ours stay within that parameter.

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have 10. 6 & 4. So far 6 roam around the house . The 4 stay by the coop. They all stay in the shade. They haven't ever wondered very far. I don't have a roo. I always stay with them because of predators. I carry a rifle to protect them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by