free range chicks and disease

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catterbug, May 29, 2010.

1. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    I have 3 week old chicks. I have been putting them outside for about 30 minutes since the weather is warmer. When I first got them, they were on medicated feed and then I ran out. I switched to unmedicated since that was what was available at my farm store. I was reading through some posts that the occidiosis (spelling not right I am sure) has something to do with them being outside in the soil as well as in their poop. Should I not allow them outside until after 7 weeks or so. They just love it out there and I love seeing them but I want to take the best of care.
    Thoughts?

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Just monitor their poop.
    There is an extensive article here on BTC somewhere about what "cocc....." looks like. Otherwise let them play! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I fed medicated starter and got my chicks outside on the dirt as soon as possible (2 1/2 weeks old). My understanding is that when you are feeding the medicated, they need to be exposed to the dirt asap to help them build an immunity to coccidia. The medication in the starter, usually amprolium, helps them develop an immunity and at the same time keeps the # of cocci in their gut low so they aren't overwhelmed by it.
    Sorry, I don't know how to explain it better than that.
    I don't know exactly how long they need to be on it though in order to get the most benefit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by