Free range chicks and dog eating poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by heybarb, Mar 19, 2012.

1. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    So, we've been letting our 4 week old chicks spend some afternoon time in our yard. We do not have a run, so we've just been watching them and letting them roam around. (They don't go far!) Any way, our little dog has gotten so that he follows them around and eats their poop! Yuck! I know it's not great for him, but I can't think of way to keep him away from it without building a run - and that was not what we want...Should I be worried about our dog's health??

2. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Heck my dogs eat chicken poop, cat poop, deer poop, horse poop, and a bunch of other poops that we don't even know about. Then there is the whole dead animal eating thing. Our dogs are very healthy, but we do take them for their regular vet check ups. So I guess as long as you keep up on the vet checks the dog should be fine. Now you might see letting them lick you in a whole new light.[​IMG]

3. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I would def stay away from dog kisses for a while lol. Mine eat chicken poop too. Also cat poop from the litter box and the small one goes into our cow pen and brings out big ol patties that he shares with the rest of the dogs [​IMG]. I wouldnt worry about it too much. I think its just a dog thing to eat gross stuff.

4. Imma Okie

Imma Okie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Dogs are just GROSS! Our Aussie favors horse poop, but would rather roll in cow poop. Our mastiff loves the chicken poop! If they aren't eating it, they are rolling in it!
    When I see them eating da poo, I scold them, but with all different species of feces it seems like a losing battle. It's a smorgasbord of scat around here.
    Best answer I can offer, keep your dogs on a good dewormer ...and as Dragonmorgan suggested, stay away from the doggy kisses!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  5. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    As long as you have chickens, your dog will eat their poop. It's just a dog thing. Mine does it all the time, I just don't let her kiss me! =P

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by