Free range chicks & grit...

heybarb

Songster
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
North Carolina
This may seem like a super silly question, but my chicks are 7 weeks old - almost 8 weeks old - and have been spending nights in their coop and the days have been spent foraging around the yard. They are eating the chick food recommended by TSC. Do I need to provide grit too? I had thought that I did not - since they are free-ranging out in the yard...but something I just read made me wonder if I am wrong.

Actually I have a 2nd question - by this age (7-8 weeks) the red combed chicks are probably cockerals, right? I have 2 cochin with very red combs and waddles - since about 4 weeks old. I have one Old English with a red comb - not no much red waddles, but compared to his sibs - he and another are definitely boys. BUT, I have 4 Tetra Tints or White Leghorns out of the pullet bin at TSC and two have just started to get reddish waddles and combs...Could they be boys too?? I only have 8 chicks - and 4/5 out of 8 is NOT GOOD!!

Thanks!

I have 4- 9 week old tetra tints and none of them have reddish wattles,All appear to be pullets. I however have 4 Barred Rocks of the same age and they were also supposed to be all pullets but I believe that at least 2 of them are roos. I am doing the wait and see on them, if they turn out to be roos I will have to try and trade them for some hens locally.

If they are free ranging they probably will find some grit but I would go purchase some chick grit, it's cheep (pun). You can mix it in their food or offer it in a seperate dish. Just to make sure they get enough.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom