Free range chicks & grit...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by heybarb, Apr 18, 2012.

1. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    This may seem like a super silly question, but my chicks are 7 weeks old - almost 8 weeks old - and have been spending nights in their coop and the days have been spent foraging around the yard. They are eating the chick food recommended by TSC. Do I need to provide grit too? I had thought that I did not - since they are free-ranging out in the yard...but something I just read made me wonder if I am wrong.

Actually I have a 2nd question - by this age (7-8 weeks) the red combed chicks are probably cockerals, right? I have 2 cochin with very red combs and waddles - since about 4 weeks old. I have one Old English with a red comb - not no much red waddles, but compared to his sibs - he and another are definitely boys. BUT, I have 4 Tetra Tints or White Leghorns out of the pullet bin at TSC and two have just started to get reddish waddles and combs...Could they be boys too?? I only have 8 chicks - and 4/5 out of 8 is NOT GOOD!!

2. HomesteaderMel

HomesteaderMel Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    SW Florida
    I free-range my chickens and do not provide grit. I assume they will find it themselves as they forage :)
  3. twinzmom

twinzmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Saugerties NY
    I have 4- 9 week old tetra tints and none of them have reddish wattles,All appear to be pullets. I however have 4 Barred Rocks of the same age and they were also supposed to be all pullets but I believe that at least 2 of them are roos. I am doing the wait and see on them, if they turn out to be roos I will have to try and trade them for some hens locally.
  4. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    If they are free ranging they probably will find some grit but I would go purchase some chick grit, it's cheep (pun). You can mix it in their food or offer it in a seperate dish. Just to make sure they get enough.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by