free range controle

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by alln7220, Jul 19, 2010.

1. alln7220

alln7220 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    i need help!!! i live in the city and have 28 birds. i want them to free range but need to keep them in my yard. i have almost 2 ac. but no fence. any help would be grrrrreat!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

If a fence isn't an option, then I guess you'll have to buy 28 little harnesses and leashes.

3. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Let them out, and they will come right back at night! Ours only have 3/4 of an acre to roam, and they never stray far! But, they will get braver, so you may need to keep them penned up once in a while to reset their paramters! [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They'll come back at night, but during the day they will go wherever they want. Even with two acres, I can't imagine that free ranging would work in a city environment. When Frost wrote "Good fences make good neighbors", he was right on the money. I think that you will be asking for problems with the neighbors and the neighborhood dogs.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Can't be done. Chickens don't respect boundaries.

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:and send us a picture!

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I'm sorry, but this made me laugh. "Reset their parameters." Chickens have parameters? I know they start out with very small ones, because they're... well.... chickens. Scaredy-cat chickens. Don't take well to change. But resetting their parameters. Hmmm.

This struck me nearly as funny as the simple statement made in another post: "Bugs have niacin." Again, I have NO idea why that tickled me so much. But now I cannot see a bug without hearing a tiny mental voice: "Oh, look: a source of niacin for chickens!" Especially when I see a whole slew of roving niacin in the form of earwigs.

Chicken parameters. Hmmmmm.

Please forgive me.

Returning to the original topic: Gritsar said it exactly right: Chickens don't respect boundaries. (And I add: I guess their parameters are boundless. )

8. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Let them out just a couple hours before sunset, they won't go far, and will be happy to get back home in their house.

9. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    If you have no fence and the girls are allowed into the road then you had better be prepared to hear screaching brakes, angry motorists and dead or missing chickens. Please don't be one of those who expect others to accept your girls into their yards or their way. BUILD A FENCE. At least enough that your girls will be safe and not causing you problems. [​IMG]

10. DukesAngel

DukesAngel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I agree with everyone else, you have to fence. Just as if you had a dog in a yard with no fence, the dog is going to wander whether you like it or not.

Although I do like the idea of 28 little harness's and leashes [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by