Free Range/Coop Layers?

Eddy Chicken

Songster
8 Years
Oct 23, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Who lets their chickens free range and do the chickens go back to the coop to lay their eggs?

Two of my chickens layed for the first time yesterday. It was also the first time I kept them in their run/coop all day
hmm.png
. They are 21 weeks old tomorrow.

I like to let them free range. They're looked after by our two GSD's and Dogue de Bordeau so I know they're somewhat safe from predators.

Thanks,
Ed

Mine free range most of the time and they come back to the coop to lay. I used to keep them in the coop/run half the day and then let them out. I did this to make sure they laid in the coop (we have a fake egg in the nest boxes), but they have been free ranging most of the day lately. However, I have one that I have been missing her eggs for a few days, so we will go back to keeping them in the coop until noon or so until she starts laying back in the coop.

Thanks Michele,

One layed at around noon yesterday and the other aorund 2PM so I'm leaving them in till after that time today to see what happens. They've voiced their displeasure in my plan though ;)

My hens wander around my backyard during the day and the older ones always go back to their coop to lay. The younger ones are 22 weeks and haven't started laying yet as far as I know. Their combs are only now starting to pink up. For some reason my hens like to lay later in the day as well. I have an EE, austrolorp and a dominque mix who lay between noon and 4.

Mine lay at different times, but I will catch them all laying at some point if I keep them cooped up for half the day. Once they get in the habit of laying in the coop, they will keep going back to it:)

Back
Top Bottom