Free range ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by brennancook5, Aug 15, 2013.

1. brennancook5

brennancook5 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    I have had my ducks in my barn for about 3 weeks now. There is 5 of them. I have a flock of 20+ chickens. If I let my ducks free range will they stay around?

2. wafflechicken

wafflechicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    What kind of ducks?

3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    They should. As long as you feed them near the coop and keep their pool/water source close by, they shouldn't wander too far.
    Just be sure they aren't a breed that flies (muscovy, mallards, calls) as they may fly off.
    But with mine, I free range in a large area (40 acres of field and woods). They generally stay near the coop. They wander off into the fields during the day, but don't go far as they don't like the hawks that fly around. So they stay close enough to my porch and coop so they can run for cover now and then.

4. brennancook5

brennancook5 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    There Rouen/Peking mix

5. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    They definitely won't fly so I wouldn't worry about them going far. They are both large breeds of ducks and fairly calm and friendly. So I would expect them to stick around

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I agree make focal points, i actually mainly have Muscovy and leave them full flight, while they do a bit of flying, into the fields etc they return at dusk and quite often are found in around their pen and housing, i have a 1/3 of an acre pen that surrounds their barn and pools and feed, in other words a focal point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by