1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free Range Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by snyderg08, Oct 21, 2013.

1. snyderg08

snyderg08 Out Of The Brooder

I have a duck and a drake who free range in my backyard. They have everything they need to be happy and healthy. In spite of all this they will sit by my back door and just hover there. They are destroying my patio and the dogs track in their poop since they sit there all day. So my question to you is how do I get them to go hang out in the yard. I have tons of grass, a garden they pick through, a pond with a waterfall and their coop. It is about a 1/10 of an acre so not huge but big enough for only 2.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Block off the area with some kind of fencing. I have to do it to keep mine off my patio. Also is the a lot of cover out in the yard? maybe they feel vunerable out there if there isn't places to get up under. Trees bushes and other things. How old are they makes a difference if very young they may just need to feel close to you.

3. snyderg08

snyderg08 Out Of The Brooder

Thank you very much. They are young. They just went through their first moult. I have some cover but they seem to like the patio better. I will go ahead and put up a little fence to keep them in the grass area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by