Free range flock ate lead, eggs okay?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Barz51, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Barz51

Barz51 New Egg

Mar 13, 2011
    Hello all,
    My son and I were doing some target practice on a little steel spinner and some of the lead flaked/splashed of the target into the yard. The next day when I came home from work our flock was scratching and pecking in the loosened sod where the target was! I grabbed a shovel and turned the topsoil under ASAP!
    That was two days ago. The flock is showing no signs of illness but I'm worried about the eggs. Any guidance?
    Thank you!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I can't advise what it will do to the eggs but any lead they consumed will go to the gizzard and slowly get ground up and enter the bloodstream. This is why waterfowl hunting regulations mandate non-toxic shot only be used - ducks and geese were consuming lead pellets and contracting lead poisoning. I'm sure the amount consumed makes a big difference, but I've not clue if any amount is too much. Again, unsure on the eggs, however. Sorry.

3. Barz51

Barz51 New Egg

Mar 13, 2011
    Thanks Redsoxs. We're keeping an eye on everyone and they seem fine. I don't think they got much and we're definitely going to make sure it doesn't happen again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by