free range for meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by birdman4259, Aug 7, 2014.

1. birdman4259

birdman4259 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Will free ranging my meat chickens make the meat tough?
    Thanks.
    Sandy

2. No.

It makes it better! Just baked two home grown chickens last night that were free ranged. Best ever

Wish ya the best.

3. birdman4259

May 4, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. Good to know.

Sandy

4. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Cosign. My birds are very active, still tender, moist, delicious.

5. birdman4259

May 4, 2014
    Thanks Caress.

Sandy

6. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I was told by an senior member of BYC to give CX another try. My first experience with them was with my Father who kept them in a small pen. They were vile disgusting birds that ate laying down and pooed golfballs [​IMG].

I took her advice and currently have 15 CX and 10 Rangers that are free-ranging with my large flock. They are healthy, active, and awesome little birds. At 6 weeks they have no sign of leg issues and love to chase bugs with the bigger birds!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  7. katbriar

katbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    Northern New Mexico

Good for you! I am tickled to see this. So many people see disgusting traits of the cornish x and think it's the breed when it's usually the husbandry techniques.

I wish everybody could see the difference that just treating these birds in the same way you would treat other chickens can make!

8. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Thanks katbriar, I'm glad I gave them another shot. I can't wait to see how they fill out, compared to the first time (we had to butcher those earlier than we had hoped 8 weeks almost exactly due to leg issues). I also have kept this batch on the same feed as the other chicks (a simple starter/grower instead of the game/meat bird feed) plus all of the bugs they can catch, and a steady diet of fruit and veggie scraps.

9. Hoffy

Hoffy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    NY
    I pasture mine, both Cx and Pioneers. The Cx are Excellent and ranging them seems to keep them free of any real ailments. Taste and tenderness are both great.

10. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Nope. I think it's the only way to go!

I LOVE our Red Rangers. I'm totally hooked on this breed. Very healthy and hardy compared to the CX. Mine just hit 4 weeks old and they are beautiful birds that are fleshing out very nicely and turning into little tank chickens *L*. They'll be ready for harvest at the end of September.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by