Free Range Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2AcreFarmer, Jan 30, 2014.

1. 2AcreFarmer

2AcreFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    I have five chickens ( including two bantiees). I want to let the bantiees out of the run (a 10x10x6 dog lot) but I don't want to let the roo and the two red sex linked hens out with the bantiees. Is there anyway possible I could let the bantees out and have them come back at dusk to a certain point? Perhaps a cage or find some way to put a roosting bar outside of the run for them to go on until I go out and put them in the run?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

They would happily come back to the coop they are used to sleeping in when it starts to get dark, if there is a roost there, they might happily perch there and wait for you instead of walking back off and deciding to sleep in a tree.

However, that sort of practice will quickly result in them getting eaten.

If they have a coop of their own, and places to hide under, so when predators arrive they have a place to hide out, they would have a better chance of making it.

The big problem is that chicken is very very tasty, and everything knows it!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just curious as to why?

4. 2AcreFarmer

Jan 23, 2014
    Well I just wanted them to be able to have some time away from the bigger birds. None of my birds get picked on I just figure they would want some time away [email protected]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nahh, if they're not getting picked on until bloody, they are better off all staying together. No sense in making it complicated.

6. 2AcreFarmer

Jan 23, 2014
    Okay thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by