Free-range hens laying in bushes, not nest box.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HenalayLady, Apr 12, 2012.

1. HenalayLady

HenalayLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    One Speckled Sussex and an Ameraucana have been free-lancing away from the chicken house. Previously when I found the nests I removed the eggs. This time I left a few. but marked them, so the hens would still return to the same spot to lay. However, I'd rather get them to use the nest boxes again, if I can. Any suggestions you have used? I have no way to confine them without excluding the other 7 hens from the hen house. Thanks for your thoughts.

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a drag, isn't it?

I have to lock 'em all in for a few days until the offenders lay in the nestbox. So unfair to the girls who are doin' it right but no freelancing allowed.

Good luck w/ it!

3. HenalayLady

HenalayLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks, Devora. I've been reluctant to lock them all up because the coop is small (50sf) and I have 9 hens. I'm afraid they'll stop being as friendly as they have been. But with 2 of them going AWOL I suppose I should try the group therapy approach. Maybe peer pressure will convince the two renegades. Thanks again. Myrleen

4. PsychoChickens

PsychoChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    Mid Missouri
    I'd think if you had a large enough coop you could simply put a small cage in it with a nesting box for the AWOL chickens so you could continue to let the good girls out to free range. Just a thought thou.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by