Free range laying question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thechickman04, May 28, 2008.

1. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    my hens have been laying really well...here lately i have been letting them free range during the day..i havent been getting as many eggs since..will the hens lay somwhere else other than their nests if they freerange

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

If their nesting area is comfortable to them, they'll make a mad dash when they get "the urge".

Obelisk and Penny both would run to get in the house to lay on the couch, the chair or in the cat carrier. Penny preferred the new couch, but Obelisk seems to like the cat carrier the best for right now...she used to use the chicken chair.

3. karrie

karrie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Mine free range, but make a run for the nesting box when it's "time". Occasionally one will lay an egg in the middle of the pen!

4. thechickman04

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    ok maybe their being lazy...

5. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    You probably find secret hoards of eggs hidden away. Watch to see where they go and look there for they nests. Look under cars or trailers or in piles of junk. High grass is a favorite place.

Good Luck,

Rufus

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Generally mine go back to the coop to lay their eggs but I once I found a beautiful brown egg laid behind a hay bale in the barn.

So, they don't always use their nestboxes... people have found lots of eggs in "hidden" stashes when their hens free range.

7. thechickman04

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    most of them run to the nest boxes...but im missing a few eggs a day i follow them but they never stray too far from the coop

8. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    My girls free range but I just have a yard. They always use the nest box, but sometimes if they find a new and interesting place to lay then they will. My kid makes a fort, they try it out. new rabbit hutch, lets lay there. You get the idea. But then they return to the old tried and true nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by