Free range neighbor dogs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MomMommyMamma, Jun 22, 2010.

1. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    So bummed. Our sons brought their little friend over today to show her our babies and her two dogs followed. Had to chase them off for barking at the babies. They've been back twice already tonight. Looks like we'll be building that fence sooner than we had planned. I don't understand why people let their dogs run free. These folks don't even have a fence. :-/

2. Thamnophis

Thamnophis Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2009
    Check with your local animal control agency. See what laws exist for your area. I live in the country but was surprised to find we have a leash law, even here in the sticks. We also have a law that allows anyone to shoot dogs, cats, etc if they threaten livestock, including chickens. I(ts always a good idea to check exactly what the law is. Make the call - don't trust what others say!

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Buy your son a paintball gun.

4. mickistoy

mickistoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    they make rubber buckshot for shotguns....just stay back about 10 yards from anything you dont want to kill [​IMG]

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Oh yes a fence is most definitely in order. I call it "free range" but that's a misnomer, really, because I try to make SURE that none of my birds gets outside the fence. (They usually don't come home if they do)
    The second (and equally important) benefit of having a fence is that the loose dog has to "break into" your yard, which protects my right to defend my animals/property.
    Predator or pet is determined by which side of the fence the dog is standing on. [​IMG]

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    we got a simple rule for any visiting predators..... if they can outrun my dogs then they have the right to live. [​IMG]

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'd firmly but politely advise your neighbors to make sure their dogs do not enter your property - explain that you have very vulnerable ground dwelling pets that you love very much and that unfortunately dogs do as well, but in a murdering kind of way. (no amount of "Fido is so sweet and wouldn't hurt a fly" should sway anyone ever, as it's almost never true) ....

The dogs will unfortunately keep coming back. I'm bummed for you. Since you cannot trust that the neighbors will abide by your wishes I'm afraid the only safe thing right now is to keep your birds in serious lockdown until you have a fortress.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by