Free Range Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wxdude99, Dec 9, 2008.

1. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    Do you think it would be safe to let my chickens free range inside a privacy fence during the day while I'm at work? I know most predators come out at night. Does anybody else do this?

Thanks

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My chickens free-range all day, but only when I'm home.
    There's still the same amount of predators whether I'm home or not, but I feel like when I'm home I at least have the chance to intervene.

3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    My birds free range in the day when I am at work. We do get foxes around in the UK in the day but I have been ok for a long time, fingers crossed!

4. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    Do you have runs? I was hoping to do without building a run. I guess the only problem will be when the weather is bad I'll have to keep them in the coop. Thanks.

5. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I have a small run but I open this each morning and let them go in the field. They go to the stable and overhang to get out of bad weather and then go their shed at night. I shut the run door when I put the horse away after dark.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I don't have a run at this time, but their coop is roomy. We do intend to eventually build a run so they're not confined to the coop when we have to be away from home.
    Mine wander around no matter the weather. If it's raining hard I can usually find them under the carport or under the eaves of the nearest outbuilding.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  7. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Lots of people do this...but it's a chance WE take.
    I saw a hawk the other day peeping down on the girls!

8. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    We live in the city and have always free ranged our hens, but last week we had a hawk visit. Nearly nabbed a hen and would have been successful had I not been around to hear the chickens squawking their heads off. I kept them in their coop/run for a couple days hoping the hawk had left the area, but now I'm hesitant to let them out while I'm gone. Cats can be a problem during the day here too.

You're taking a risk, but it does make for happy hens.

9. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
  10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, you're right! On the days that I don't let mine out I can hear their complaining all the way back to the house.
    We have bobcats, bobcat hybrids, coyotes, hawks, a pair of golden eagles and who knows what else.
    It's not a question of IF I'll lose some. I know it'll happen eventually. In the meantime my chooks are happy and they have a great life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by