Free range question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sonjab314, Jun 21, 2010.

1. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I have numerous pullets that are about 2months old. They've been outside in their coop for about a month. I put them in the run daily and let them play in the dirt. My question is at what age to you turn your pullets out to free range? I have a fenced in back yard so them running off isnt really an issue as I have chain linked fence. I'm more concerned about getting them back up in the evening.

2. dreamwallaby

dreamwallaby Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    Do they go back to their coop from their run on their own at night? They should be looking to get back in the coop when it starts to get darker. They shouldn't require too much chasing since they should WANT to be there, but then again... murphy's law??

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Songster

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I have some 4 week olds that are freeranging all over the place-- and go back in their house at night.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Mine all go back into the run and to their respective coops just before dusk. All by themselves.

5. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    The run is not connected to the coop (another project DH hasn't completed yet). We carry them back and forth. My Blue Polish likes to ride on my shoulder like a parrot. They are all little hams.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  6. stampntam

stampntam Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    I have 12 week old chicks and I let them free range, they come back into the run and coop each night to go to sleep. They also do not wonder to far from their run at this point either, I think they are too scared. When one of them realizes it has gone a little to far, it comes running back to the run and it makes all of them come running too. Too funny
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  7. BayChicks

BayChicks In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Reedville
    If the coop is accessible, they should go right back to it in the evening/night.

8. VAeggman

VAeggman In the Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Quote:This is all good news.... I've been wanting to try to let my birds out but I'm scared...

So it sounds like its a natural intstict to stay pretty close to home/coop??? Not to run wild and never return. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. monita

monita Songster

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    If they are put to bed in the coop every evening they should start going back on their own once you let them free range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by