Free Range Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickensXOXO, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    This Spring/Summer my chicken population got up kind of high, and just lately, the chicks are maturing, and they're starting to adventure too far.
    I sold a few here and there and gave some away. But I still had too many cockerels, and I'm waiting for a lady to pick up some of them today.
    I have a bunch of cockerels and a few pullets locked up for her to pick up, and I was hoping with a dramatic drop in numbers, maybe they wouldn't go as far.
    I still have about 4-5 wanting to go the distance, and I was wondering if maybe keeping them penned for a little while would discourage that behavior?
    Yeah, it's an off shot, but they're some of my favorites, and I enjoy letting them free range. I'll pen them up tonight, for sure, either way.
    I just hope I can let them free range again without worrying about them going off too far.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

We live on 3 acres and I have noticed that it just depends on the day. Most often, my chickens and two peacocks are in the backyard where they belong, however, on some ocassions, they are in the front yard and out in the fields. When the corn came down, they were very confused- as though their perimeter had been disrupted. Some of my neighbors like to drive by and see my flock hanging out in front, but we live on a busy highway. I have never known one to go that far... I have had to wrangle a pair of banties who like to head down the road ditch towards town. (Which I might add is pretty funny because they are little porcelain D'Uccles (Laverne and Shirley) and waddle side by side with their little feathery feet- all they are missing is a suitcase!)
    Mine always come back before dark. I treat mine most afternoons and sometimes I think that is why they stick close. I have 15 chickens.

3. angie3881

Keeping them penned up for a few days might help out... or at least give you a few days of piece of mind. I hate having to lock up my flock, but I always do at night!

4. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Thanks. Mine come back at night too, but I just worry about them exploring too far, and a stray cat or something might attack them.
    They also like the ditch a lot in the winter (I think because of the bugs in the soggy dirt), and I don't want them in the road!
    I have a big backyard, and I have a flock that play all back there, and they're fine, but my oldest flock likes the smaller front yard.
    I have a little fencing, but they love the shade tree in the front too much, not to visit it every day (shade, bird feeders, bird baths..fun!).
    And did I mention they're small Old English Bantams? So they're little birds themselves.

Anyway, since the other chicks have been removed, they are doing better today. I think I might remove at least one more hen soon.
    They're hanging closer together and not going as far.

5. angie3881

I have a OEGB and she is my very favorite! Good luck to you. Mine don't listen to the rules, either!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by