Free range risks vs rewards

Agsgranik

Chirping
Jul 29, 2020
San Antonio, TX
Curious about everyone’s thoughts. I understand the risks of letting our chickens free range. We just lost our rooster a few days ago, I assume to a hawk, though that’s a guess.
I know my hens would be safer enclosed, but they don’t want to be enclosed! They wait at the gate and aggressively try to get out.
I guess it’s a choice to weigh longer life vs happier life...

Attachments

• 7C7362EA-0879-4FDD-9DE0-7CF6AE7EFA03.jpeg
    7C7362EA-0879-4FDD-9DE0-7CF6AE7EFA03.jpeg
    544.7 KB · Views: 2
I'm so sorry for your loss. He was absolutely beautiful! His large comb and waddle are quite something!
Are planning on getting another roo? It might be best if you want to continue to free range. Are there lots of bushes/shrubs for quick duck & cover when someone sounds the alarm? You might think about planting some.
You could also build some movable shelters that are about 20 inches off the ground with 2x4's and metal corrugated roofing panels... I made two small shelters for my hens and they like to sit under them for shade. You could also encourage them to hang out with hanging food/water underneath. The shelters are open on all sides, so good for duck & cover situations.
Just some ideas as my hens free range too, but I don't have redtail hawks. Just little Cooper's hawks. The Cooper's are too small to carry off my hens. :)

Good luck!

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was absolutely beautiful! His large comb and waddle are quite something!
Are planning on getting another roo? It might be best if you want to continue to free range. Are there lots of bushes/shrubs for quick duck & cover when someone sounds the alarm? You might think about planting some.
You could also build some movable shelters that are about 20 inches off the ground with 2x4's and metal corrugated roofing panels... I made two small shelters for my hens and they like to sit under them for shade. You could also encourage them to hang out with hanging food/water underneath. The shelters are open on all sides, so good for duck & cover situations.
Just some ideas as my hens free range too, but I don't have redtail hawks. Just little Cooper's hawks. The Cooper's are too small to carry off my hens. :)

Good luck!
He was gorgeous, and a very good protector and provider for his girls. I do want to get another roo. We have about 2.5 acres that is mostly not landscaped, so lots of cover. Plus there is a picnic table and deck that they hang out under, and a large covered run attached to their coop that stays open so lots of options for quick duck n cover. I'm honestly at a loss as to what could have happened to Rook.

Back
Top Bottom