Free Range Shelter for my flock...they love it.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RHewitt, Mar 17, 2009.

1. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

I planned early this year for the hot summers and built a range shelter for my flock. It is a simple shelter with a roof and south wall to block the sun. I put 2 x 6,s around the bottom to hold shavings and sand for dust baths. Added an extra water source so that my flock has plenty of fresh water in the shade. It is also great for them to use as a rain shelter to dodge thunderstorms that pop up if they don't want to go back in the coop. They seem to use it now for light rains as a hang our area.

I wanted to share the idea for others members that may free range.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Great idea. What a beautiful flock.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That's a great daytime shelter!

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Love it! Thanks for sharing. I'm sure the chickens appreciate the shade in the summer.

5. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    I love it - thanks for sharing it - looks like a project a girl can do [​IMG] All by myself!

I need to make a shelter/outdoor pen for my girls and this looks awesome!

6. MikelJohn

MikelJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Abbeville, LA
    Thanks for the idea! Love it! I free range and depend on trailers, trampoline, etc... for shelter. I think I may build me one of these!

7. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Great idea - I'd build one here, if I thought they'd use it [​IMG] they prefer my garage.

Hubby would rather they perched somewhere else - since they tend to like his Kubota tractor and brush hog the best for sitting on - must be they like the color [​IMG]

At least the Geese don't go in there - then I'd really hear complaints [​IMG]

meri

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    very nice shelter there! [​IMG] It wouldn't work here for my free range days as the hawks could go right into it. I have two very large and dense Quince bushes that seem to work for shelter from rain and hawks....not to mention our open ended garage so they get under vehicles. [​IMG] But inside a run that is perfect!

9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    That is awesome.
    I wish I could use stuff like that but like the poster above, the hawks just fly right into it. Mine scramble under thick bushes also or under the shed.
    They use the open air coops for hot or rainy days.
    Maybe once I get a LGD I will be able to use something like this. It is really neat.[​IMG]

10. peacockgurl

peacockgurl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    Silver Springs, Nevada
    What a great idea, I think i may copy it! my chickens are free range with a covered box to sleep in, but they mostly just hang out around the box. I was thinking about building a big coop but I think I like your idea better. do you provide them with nesting boxes somewhere or do they nest where ever they want? I am still new to owning chickens and I am trying to figure out what would be better, free range or coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by