Free range to coop living?

lsingy

Chirping
Aug 30, 2020
My 2 two year old chickens have free ranged their lives in my large protected backyard. I'm being forced to move to an apartment. I have found a good home for them, but it is coop living only with several other chickens. My question/concern is this type of radical change very hard on chickens, or do they adjust well. Their so spoiled and I am worried about them. Does anyone have any experience with this or comments. Would be appreciated.

It is enough room for 9, as long as it has good ventilation and lighting.

They may fuss a bit over the loss of free ranging (and the new home/flock) but I don't see any reason they can't adjust.

12x12 coop, but no run? You said they won't be free ranging anymore, so just stuck in the 12x12 structure all the time? IF I'm understanding that correctly, I wouldn't choose that for my chickens. It's a good sized coop, but no access to outside would be a deal breaker for me. I like to let my chickens be chickens and in my mind that involves running around eating plants, bugs etc.

12x12 coop, but no run? You said they won't be free ranging anymore, so just stuck in the 12x12 structure all the time? IF I'm understanding that correctly, I wouldn't choose that for my chickens. It's a good sized coop, but no access to outside would be a deal breaker for me. I like to let my chickens be chickens and in my mind that involves running around eating plants, bugs etc.
That's why I'm wondering what it looks like. If it's more of an open air coop/run combo type set up, that should be fine space-wise, ventilation-wise, etc.

If it's entirely enclosed so they never see sunlight again, then I'd find that problematic.

If no run I wouldn't let them go to that person if there was some kind of outside area I would not worry but if not no way

Back
Top Bottom