Free Range Toms Fighting

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Dry Creek Ranch, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Dry Creek Ranch

Dry Creek Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    Missouri USA
    I had 8 free range toms last week and now I am down to 5. I noticed that 2 weeks ago several of the younger (8 months old) toms were fighting with my senior (2 years old) tom. I thought it was just a pecking order squabble but now I am wondering if they drove him and two other toms off. I have 7 hens. I am going to put three of the toms in the freezer today but was wondering if the two toms that are left will fight until there is only one? Anyone else have experience with this?

1 person likes this.
  2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I've had pecking orders through my toms but I don't think they went after each other for many other reasons and they only went after one and I had two gang up on that one who ended up dying of who knows what. When that tom died my three hens did the strangest thing and stood in a circle and started squawking to each other that sounded like they were talking to each other as if they were talking about the toms death, than they turned on that one that was paired up with the tom that had died. From what I understood it was because each tom each had a hen and when one died there was an odd hen out. I separated the female that was being picked on and the females would not stop stalking her from the pen I put her in.

I'm wondering if this is a similar case and the toms are fighting the older tom for the other females. I think the only reason my toms weren't at each others throat was because they were close to each other or at least got along well.

3. Dry Creek Ranch

Dry Creek Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    Missouri USA
    Well the tom turkey issue is resolved but not the way I wanted it to be. I was going to take 4 of the remaining 5 toms (I had 8 just 5 days ago) to auction this Saturday. Yesterday I sat down to have lunch and outside my kitchen window the 4 auction toms were beating the hell out of my keeper tom. I sent my dogs out to break it up but they ignored the dogs and just kept pummeling the one tom. I tried catching the one tom but no success. Finally I had to put down the 4 auction toms with my rifle. They were fighting with the one tom to the last turkey and the gun shots had no effect on their intent on killing the keeper tom. I processed two of the toms myself and gave the other two to two of my neighbors. From now on the toms are going to auction at 6 months. I typically get around $25 per tom. I lost 3 to fighting and had to put down 4 all in one week. :-(
    I am going to pen my turkeys this breeding season. Last year my hen bred with wild toms and the chicks were every color imaginable. Pretty to look at but not the best breeding program.

4. poult

poult Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Cabin In The Woods
    WOW you have had a really bad week! :hugs oh my gosh I'm so sorry for your losses bad stuff happens sometimes I currently have 0 turkeys but recently I had 2 for almost two years i raised them and everything they were a pair so I never had bad fights just squabbles over silly things.I do have two roosters that are fighting every other day it's kinda pathetic though it was much worse when I had 6 roosters! I hope your next batch goes better. :)

5. norcalbirds

norcalbirds Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    I have 2 toms and 4 hens they have been fighting like crazy but not hurting each other just a pecking order kinda thing. Now the fighting has stopped and breeding has begone and I hope it stays that way. Sorry for your loss but at least you have the problem fixed for years to come!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by