free range vs. not?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cbzdel, Aug 31, 2010.

1. cbzdel

cbzdel New Egg

Aug 30, 2010
    I spent alot of time last night looking at pictures of people setups. Before I was just looking at design, but not I was thinking runs...

I do not have a huge yard at my place, here is a pic of my back yard where the chickens are going to go.

[​IMG]

I was thinking possibly a 3'x8' or 4'x8' "playhouse" style coop/run. I was going to do a coop/run behind my garage (see my other thread), but my wife changed her mind and is against that idea now.

But what I got to thinking about is, they will not be free range chickens, I have neighbors with cats that end up in my yard all the time, I only have a 48" tall fence all the way around my property so maybe even a chicken could possibly flap over that?

Really what I asking, it is still worth it if your chickens can not free-range, and they are caged up 100% of the time. I dont want to be cruel, but maybe they are fine with being caged, as long as they get attention?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

If they are kept in a coop with a run with enough room and given attention, protection, feed, water, and treats, they'll be fine. Honest! It won't be cruel at all.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I agree with gryeyes. The problem will be exercising restraint in the number of birds you get. For the size of coop/run you're thinking consider having a small flock, e.g. just 2-3 standard birds or 2-4 bantams. Definitely build it as big as you can and make sure the entire footprint is usable space for the birds (e.g. elevate the shelter-roost-nest box part).

4. joeyg4583

joeyg4583 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Brighton
    I agree just make sure your coop and run are large enough for the number and type of birds you have.

5. cbzdel

cbzdel New Egg

Aug 30, 2010
    I was thinking about getting only 2 for now. I am leaning more towards the standard size birds for the egg size. It is just me and my wife, and we dont plan on selling eggs, they are for ourselves.

6. Gallo del Cielo

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Good for you cbzdel! [​IMG] I think your two birds will be spoiled rotten. Let us know if you have any other questions as you get your coop situated. We love to help.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

I would strongly suggest you get three, not two. Chickens are flock animals and very sociable amongst themselves. If you get only two and goodness forbid, something were to happen to one of them you'd be left with a very lonely chicken on your hands.

8. cbzdel

cbzdel New Egg

Aug 30, 2010
    never thought of that, good call.. I will do that [​IMG]

9. Gallo del Cielo

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I hadn't thought about the 3-bird issue, I agree completely with that. Good for pointing it out gritsar.

10. Mikman

Mikman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Earth
    i wouldnt worry about the cat problem cause our neighbors cats and our cats go in the run all the time and take naps but maybe you have aggressive cats so i wouldnt know
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by