free range with an electric poultry net

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bethinoklahoma, Aug 16, 2010.

1. bethinoklahoma

bethinoklahoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    JONES, OK
    Does any body have anything to say about using an electric poultry net?
    Seems to be a nice thought. However can't they just fly out? Whats to stop
    that type of thing?
    Thanks for your thoughts

2. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    I raise heavy breeds. A white rock cleared the fence (48") once when a dog came circling the fence. The dance that followed (me trying to catch the dog, my husband trying to catch the chicken) was quite comical, but turned out ok. Chicken safe, dog hasn't returned.
    It all depends on the breed (are they flyers?) and your fence configuration. Long, skinny fence configuration seems to be a problem here. My best set up is a square or circle fence with the moveable coop in the center. If a threat does arise, then they flock or run to the center - towards the coop, not towards the edge of the netting.

edited to add that I do really like my poultry netting. It works well for us.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  3. bethinoklahoma

Dec 18, 2008
    JONES, OK
    We have the normal one of each of my daughters pickings now, she is 6. But older daughters 4-h project is in silkies
    but she has a free range idea to do also. She wants something like what you have but the coop with sun/wind power
    and some type of feed and water in. She found the netting online and wants to order it this week. She has a few types
    of birds in mind. R.I. R but ours do fly out of what we have as does our barred rock. What breed do you have ?

4. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    I have red stars, white rocks, orpingtons and australorps. They could fly a bit when they were younger, but not so much now (nearly 18 months old). Some people have trimmed certain feathers of one wing. They are less apt to fly when off balance. I have never done this, and couldn't tell you how to go about it. Also don't know anything at all about silkies, other than their general cuteness!

5. bethinoklahoma

Dec 18, 2008
    JONES, OK
    We clip wings on a few birds but not over all. Silkies don't fly at all but cant see with that top feathers. They live in
    a special run, that pulls out from the garage. Daughter is 15 and I like to just let her do her thing with 4-h but dont
    want to see alot of death either. I plan on just giving thoughts up for her to look into and see where it goes. Thanks
    for the speedy reply. When she gets things going I will post a pic...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by