free range?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Silkie-Feet, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    Ok, i have a giant coop (once used for coon-hounds) that my dad let me turn into a coop. i only have 12 chickens left in this coop and i have NEVER let them out ( for two years now). does anyone else keep thier chickens locked up. BTW: the reason i did this is that any time i tried to free roam a few dissapear, and a few just try to live outside. all the chickens that tried to fend for them selfs have been ate. so the few who made it threw that time i have kept locked up 2 years now. they are pets and i couldnt stand for them to die. should i let them free roam?

here are a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    anyone have a reply?

3. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Wow, that's some serious space. I wish I had that much. I'm kind of in the same situation as you. It's hard to tell from the picture, but do you have an outside run? Mine are locked up securely, but I have a run, so at least they get some "outside" time. I understand not wanting to lose any of your pets, but I think it would benefit them to get outside in the fresh air and sunshine. I'm sure you can secure an area free from predators.

4. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    yes, i have a run! it has the same width and length as the inside part but 3/4 the height.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with carrir. You could have an outside fenced in run with netting on top to prevent hawks from flying in. Chickens love sunning themselves and it's a source of vitamin D for them....lice/mites dont like it neither, that's when chickens instinctively start taking a dirt bath. Edited: Sorry, just saw your new post!

6. carrlr

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    OK, then I would suggest maybe a supervised free range. I'd let them out for about an hour before their roost time. You could watch them and make sure they all get locked up securely. It will give you some free entertainment as well and they shouldn't wander far in that timeframe.

7. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    -the only problem about that is that 4 or 5 of the hens i have were cought in the wild. so they are like guineas once they go out you have to run them in. those chickens would rather sleep in a tree than in a coop!

-also my run is coverd, you wont beleve the rolls of wire it took to cover it. also the run walls are made of woven wire with chicken wire overlaped on the bottom. the wire wall is concreated into the ground about 6 inches all the way around ( rember it was used to keep dogs in, so if it can keep them in im sure it can keep them out!)

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

With that huge of a space, and knowing they also have access to a covered run, you certainly shouldn't worry about them not being able to freerange...

9. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    thanks thats what i was hoping to here
    Quote:

10. carrlr

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Ok, I understand now and agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by