Free range?)

HeatherTheMommy

Songster
May 14, 2015
Felton DE
We live on a 120 acre farm with a large pond. A few weeks ago we got 5 ducklings and 15 chickens. We moved them to the coop 2 days ago but the ducks are attacking and injuring my chicks. They are ripping out their feathers non stop. I have about 3 bloody baby chicks now. Im trying to rehome the ducks but no one seems to want them. My only other option is to let then free range and take a chance. We cant afford to build another coop. We have 1 pekin, 1 khaki campbell, 1 black runner, 1 black swedish and 1 blue swedish. Anyone else free range their ducks?

Can you put up a temporary fence in the coop? Ducks are different than chicks in water and niacin needs so that would be wise to do anyway. Chicks don't grow as fast as ducks which is probably why you are having issues. My chicks have their own coop. As for free ranging them like what you are thinking is a death sentence. They are babies and will be food very quickly and I wouldn't expect them last more than a day or two. When they get older they can free range during the day but still need a coop to come home to and be locked up.

We live on a 120 acre farm with a large pond. A few weeks ago we got 5 ducklings and 15 chickens. We moved them to the coop 2 days ago but the ducks are attacking and injuring my chicks. They are ripping out their feathers non stop. I have about 3 bloody baby chicks now. Im trying to rehome the ducks but no one seems to want them. My only other option is to let then free range and take a chance. We cant afford to build another coop. We have 1 pekin, 1 khaki campbell, 1 black runner, 1 black swedish and 1 blue swedish. Anyone else free range their ducks?
Mine free range but the part they free range in is fenced. helps some in keep preds at bay. if your ducklings aren't feathered in and there is a chance you have snapping turtles in your pond you may lose them to chilling or to the turtles. or both. Is it possible to separate the run into to separate one for chickens one for ducklings until both groups are old enough to do better on their own?

Back
Top Bottom