Free Ranged

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by StandardLover, Aug 7, 2011.

1. StandardLover

StandardLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Hi. I would love for my chickens to be free ranged, but I live in the country with coyotees, Foxes, Hawks, and even wild boars! Is there some way I could make it safe for my chickens to be free ranged? Because I have many small bantams so they are very unsafe out there. Thank you.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I live in the country with the same kinds of predators. I fenced (about a 1/2 acre) a portion of our property for a back yard to help keep my Yorkies safe. That's where I free range mine. Having a roosters helps because he will watch out for his girls! I've never lost one to a predator yet! [​IMG]

3. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    I only have to deal with ground based predators like local dogs. My solar powered electric chicken fence has worked since 2009 and I did lose several to dogs before that. However, it has no roof. See my byc page for a pic.

4. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    Our land is not fenced in any way but I will have to put some fencing when funds allow.

I am a big advocate of Guinea fowl to help out. The chickens do hear and recognize the warnings when the Guineas soundoff.

Lots of cover, we have woods, a huge willow tree and a deck that they can hide under.

And always supervised, someone is out there with them.

Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by