Free Ranger Feed Requirements Weeks 7-12?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DenverBird, Mar 22, 2011.

1. DenverBird

DenverBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    West Denver Burbs
    I need to get more grower for my FRs - anyone know about how much they'll need per bird or by the dozen for the last 6 weeks of growout?

Thanks!

-DB

2. WildflowerJLH

WildflowerJLH Chillin' With My Peeps

This thread has TONS of useful info!

3. DenverBird

DenverBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    West Denver Burbs
    Quote:Yes, I've studied that thread quite a bit, and this one too. There's also good info going back to the ultimate source for the little guys out in the coop right now. Unfortunately TimG's detailed weighing and feed records ended three weeks short of the 12 weeks I'm hoping to grow out my FRs. I do know that his total was 550 lbs and that each bird ate 25 lbs feed but the feed demand isn't linear over time and its still not clear what their consumption was from week 9 until he butchered them at week 11 or what I could expect from weeks 7-12.

I hope I'm not trying to get too scientific but anyone's got a good estimate what I should need for this period I'd greatly appreciate it. Its still cool during the days and they are in the coop at night so I'm amending the feed with a bit of bacon grease to boost the calories.

I guess I'll just figure on 200 lbs for 12 FRs for the last 6 weeks of growth right now. If that's too much, I'll feed what's left to layers and give them some extra oyster shell, if it seems like its not enough, I'll mix in some layer feed with the last 50-100 lbs or so and call it good.

Thanks again,

-DB

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  4. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Quote:Yes, I've studied that thread quite a bit, and this one too. There's also good info going back to the ultimate source for the little guys out in the coop right now. Unfortunately TimG's detailed weighing and feed records ended three weeks short of the 12 weeks I'm hoping to grow out my FRs. I do know that his total was 550 lbs and that each bird ate 25 lbs feed but the feed demand isn't linear over time and its still not clear what their consumption was from week 9 until he butchered them at week 11 or what I could expect from weeks 7-12.

I hope I'm not trying to get too scientific but anyone's got a good estimate what I should need for this period I'd greatly appreciate it. Its still cool during the days and they are in the coop at night so I'm amending the feed with a bit of bacon grease to boost the calories.

I guess I'll just figure on 200 lbs for 12 FRs for the last 6 weeks of growth right now. If that's too much, I'll feed what's left to layers and give them some extra oyster shell, if it seems like its not enough, I'll mix in some layer feed with the last 50-100 lbs or so and call it good.

Thanks again,

-DB

I've fed my Fr just whole oats since they are 4 weeks old. Growing nicely, in fact, I am overdue in processing, hope to do it tomorrow. Yes it took a little longer, and it was winter as well, but the feed cost is much less. And I wanted my meat to be free of any chemicals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by