Free Rangers Rescued

horvatpw

Hatching
Oct 2, 2016
Hi everyone and thanks for allowing me to join your group. We are living in the North Georgia Mountains and have rescued nine hens and a rooster from some neighbors that just picked up and left, their chickens included. We have been feeding them first with scratch grain and now pellets. We would like to raise them for eggs but could use some help and advice.

I built a roost and nests for them and they are gradually getting used to them. They are in the yard most of the day scratching in numerous places. they return at night and roost high, and I do mean high, 20-30 ft in the pine trees. I would like to get them into the nests and start the laying process but they seem a little skittish right now.

Will I have to build a coop for them or will they continue to roost in the trees at night? They all appear to be young, not sure how old but I think they are around the same age. Rooster has just learned how to crow.

How do I get them into the nests I have built?

Thanks for your help.

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif

It's so nice that you have taken them in!

They will definitely need a coop. Roosting in the trees leaves them very vulnerable to predators, as well as making it virtually impossible to find eggs. Once you have a coop and run, I would suggest that you keep them in there for a few days so they learn that this is their home. Once you start free-ranging them, you can give them some scratch or another treat when you want them to go inside for the night in order to make it a habit.

I would recommend the Learning Center, it has tons of great info for new chicken owners. And always feel free to ask any questions you may have, I'm sure anyone would be happy to help.

Best of luck with your new flock and thanks for joining us!
smile.png

Last edited:
Once they roost in trees it is hard to get them to stop. They are sitting ducks for raccoons and owls, etc. Once you have a coop and a run for them you can try and tame them to use coop. I would suggest you cover your run so they cannot fly out. Keep them IN the run for some time so they hopefully will get over wanting the trees.

Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined our flock. I agree with the above posts....sooner or later predators will start picking them off. You might consider clipping the flight feathers off the wings to prevent the high flying if you can't cover the run. Also, a few days locked in the coop with the food and water might get them used to where home is located. Best wishes!

Hello there and welcome to Backyard chickens. I agree with everything everybody said. I hope you are able to catch them to get them in the coop once you get one. You can try luring them in with food. Good luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom