FREE RANGING, A how do you gwet them into their pen BEFORE dusk?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 25bengood2me, Jan 17, 2010.

1. 25bengood2me

25bengood2me Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2009
    Ohio ~ Mid-Ohio Valley
    [​IMG]:/My hen, a 6mnth black Australorp mix, and her 2yo Old English Game cock free range usually from 10 AM to dusk. BUT there are days when I want to get them put away before the sun starts setting. I don't want to be outside in the dark.
    Today is such a day. It's been raining all day, I'm slipping in the muck. How do you get 2 chickens under controll? They both run & turn opposite directions! I'm here alone, hubby is off accross the road, visiting his old pal & advisor. There was a coyote around the back here yesterday. I just want my chickens to go home![​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:How about being sneaky with treats??? go in their pen and offer the treats in there to trap them?

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    When it's time to put mine in, I go get my cup of scratch. They know what they are getting before I even get to the shed. They follow my right back into their yard.

4. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I trained my hens to come when I call them. They think they're getting a treat. If they at all hesitate I just grab a couple of slices of bread and coax them in.

5. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

I use scratch also. I've trained them to come to my call by only giving them scratch after I make the call. Now, when they see me, they come running whether I have scratch or not. If I want them in before dark, I just get some scratch and call them up.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Hold a couple of long sticks in each hand to extend your arm length. Helps with herding.

Imp

7. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    If you leave them locked up the first couple of weeks, they will just go back at night. Mine do it alone every night.

8. countrychickengirl

countrychickengirl The Delaware Project

Dec 4, 2009
    Winder
    two words - herding stick

9. Philbilly

Philbilly New Egg

Jan 15, 2010
    Merville
    I cheat- I hoot like an owl. They book it for the coop every time!

10. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Treats
    OR
    a net???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by