Free Ranging age readiness

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hegazi, May 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hegazi

hegazi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2017
    MA
    At what age are the chicks ready to free range? I'd love to let our roosters (3 months old) and older hens (about 1.5 months old) out to roam but I'm afraid they won't come back. I am just getting them into their coop, should I let them get comfortable in it before letting them out free or will they just know when to come back by instinct? We have about 2 acres of grass surrounded by woods so there are wild animals around and we've seen fisher cats, fox, raccoons, and hawks circling our property.

2. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Do u have an enclosed run for them? I would keep them in it for at least a week so they know where home is.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Keep them penned about 2 weeks. I than open the door. They generally don't go far initially. I have free ranges chicks as young as 5- 6 weeks without a mother hen. They go a few feet away initially, than as they grow they go further. They generally find a favorite spot and hang out there most of the day. I haven't ever had one not return.

Predators are another thing. If you are worried about them, than only let them out when you can keep an eye on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by