Free ranging and warty eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Knittycat, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Up until the past couple of weeks the eggs my hens have laid have had perfectly smooth shells. Lately I've been letting them free range, and I've started to get warty shells. Not lots of bumps, but a small cluster at one end. What could the darn birds be getting into that is making their shells warty?

2. Debbiedodo

Debbiedodo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    White Cloud, MI
    Same bumps on the eggs here. Hope you get an answer.

3. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I had a egg teh size of a regular birds egg in coop that has bumps all over it, I am thinking one of the guineas laid it. Would like to hear wha the bumps could be.

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hope you all get the definitive answer,

I think that it isn't anything to worry about, but just an irregular deposit of calcium.

Here is one list where egg shell irregularities are mentioned with their causes....there are several others around as well. Hope someone will come on and post a link

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9014

5. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    I know that much like blood spots and meat spots, they're harmless, and unlike blood spots and meat spots, aren't even gross, but it still makes it harder to sell my eggs :(

6. craftymama86

craftymama86 Chillin' With My Peeps

My regular customer, who is also a friend, doesn't care about the shape of the eggs, including the clumps. She knows they're farm fresh eggs and the appearance doesn't affect the taste. Her husband absolutely LOVES our eggs.

7. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok

I saw this picture on facebook and thought it was really cool on free ranged eggs. Thought you might enjoy.
    [​IMG]

8. michiele

michiele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Mine have also started getting these warty eggs. All 6 hens - they were smooth until a week or 2 ago. Mine free range half the day. Must be something in the spring weeds:)

9. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Very educational! I'll have to keep this information in mind!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by