Free ranging at 6 weeks... Why not?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Steve1960, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Steve1960

Steve1960 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    Lawrence, KS
    I have 14 Dominiques that I turned loose three weeks ago at 6 weeks old. They've been eating bugs, grass, frogs, raw and cooked sweet corn and an occassional tomato since. The amount of starter they consume has dropped significantly. I am curious as to what the scientist says the implications of them eating all this other stuff will be. I have a difficult time with all this science around chicken feed. I guess I believe that living creatures know better what's good for 'em than a scientist does. They seem incredibly happy and healthy, and I certainly am enjoying the lack of insects, especially ticks since I turned them loose.
    I'm being sincere, not condescending, and am interested in feedback.

Thanks

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    chickens can eat bugs insects an frogs.an it wont hurt them one bit.

3. tomstephens

tomstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    If you aren't a commercial chicken producer in search of absolute efficiency in caring for your chickens -- what you're doing is great.

Efficiency doesn't produce happier or healthier chickens.

4. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Mother Nature knows best and the feed companies push their products for a reason--profit.

5. Steve1960

Steve1960 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    Lawrence, KS
    Yeah, I started feeding them fresh ground organic feed from a local farmer a few weeks back and now they avoid the proccessed stuff like the plague. Of course, they choose bugs, frogs and grass over even the organic feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by