free ranging bantams, whats the downside?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by slim1986, Oct 30, 2011.

1. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Ok, so we have standard chickens and we have banties, the standards free range but the banties are kept penned up, because we got some somewhat half baked advice from someone saying banties are wild and they will take off as soon as we let them out, which I know is bull poo because I go out there and pick them up and pet them and they are tame as can be. I'm just curios as to what the down side of letting them free range? Predators I'm not worried about because we have 3 chicken safe guard dogs that keep them all safe, but what else should I worry about with turning them lose? Thanks for any input!

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    You could lose them. That's the down side. Like any wild animal they like to roam and be free. If they like the home and are comfy they hang out. Thats all.

3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I had no problem free ranging my bantams.
    They stayed in the yard and put themselves to bed at night.
    If they are new to your property make sure they know where home is before you let them go though.
    With OEG bantams you may have to keep an eye on them because they like to go broody in bushes and may go missing because of that.

Other than that, the only big thing to worry about is HAWKS!
    They have taken to many of my bantams, even with the dogs around.
    Hawks and Eagles just aren't scared of dogs or humans.
    I had a hawk fly at me once!

So you should be fine, just beware of birds of prey and other predators

I lost most of my chickens to predators which is why i don't free range anymore

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I don't free-range my bantams, they are way too defenceless against predators. Even a cat could take a bantam.

5. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Hawks picked off all my bantams. They are the perfect size for them.

6. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Alrighty! Well they have been here in their pen for well over a month now seeing the exact same yard and tree, so I know they know where home is! [​IMG] I just feel bad that they see my other girls walking around free and I have them penned up! [​IMG] They do get to go in the big girls yard occasionally, we just lock everyone out and let the banties roam around, but still, its sad! But Thanks for the input! All other input/suggestions welcome!

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I used to let them out all day as they will, would go to the woods and peck around but mostly they would go to a hoop house I had setting open, until I needed it to attach a run for a Momma hen. I didn't think anything of them pecking around, them it happen a major hawk scare no one was hurt just scared enough not to leave their coop for a while, covered their run and decided I'd only let them out when I was home. Well Friday dumby me left the run open by being in a rush after feeding, and one got taken by a hawk, now I will always be sure they are locked up. Just my stoey.
    Michele

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Sorry, It happens so fast you can not even react!! We all take our chances and then we get upset by being lazy or forget. I forgot early in the summer and 5 of my girls were killed. I was so ticked at myself for forgetting. The predators don't forget and it takes just 1 time [​IMG] like it happened to me the fist time. I was heart broken.

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    The bad part was that it was a part of a pair I was going to sell. I saw that hawk the day before, right when I pulled in from work. It came out of the pines flying in low and perched on a tree eyeballing my marans babies, Ive not run that fast, since hunting dogs were killing my marans in the spring, I didn't even shut the car off, it took of towards them and I saved them just in time. They were on the wrong side of the fence found a little hole and found the garden. They freaked out and ran in the coop and didn't come back out the rest of the evening. Hole is fixed.
    Michele

10. NorthestGeorgia14

NorthestGeorgia14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Rome Ga
    Alot of things. LOL.. , people killing them, hawk ,dogs ,cats,fox,,lots more

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by