Free ranging bantams..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FriendlyFlyer, Sep 23, 2011.

1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Next spring I plan on getting a few old english game bantams and d'anvers bantams along with some black sumatras..first things first, I have 9 chickens right now (probably less by next spring because I will get rid of all the roosters) and I will have to worry about everyone getting to know each other..second, once they are all aquainted, how should I free range them? My 9 chickens now do fine but I'm worried that the new birds may free range farther than the others.
    Do bantams free range farther or will they stay with the flock? Will they learn to respect me like my other chickens? Any experiences with black sumatras, will they do good free ranging? Any help would be great! Thank you!

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I have both bantams and standards together- about 17 in total now. They free range the yard together. But I also have a huge buff orp roo who keeps them in line. 'Herds' them all together, keeps them focused in an area. I do not have confidence that the hens would return or stay together without the roo there.

So, for me, bantams and standards are the same in that respect. Maybe my banties 'listen' to me better than the others, though. [​IMG]

3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    My old english game bantams use to free range with my standards just fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by