Free ranging chickens Hanging out at my front door

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lily1, Aug 9, 2010.

1. lily1

lily1 In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    vernonia, or
    I let my chickens free range and they might wonder for a bit but then they come to the front door (I leave the door open for the dog) they never come in, they just hunker down right at the threshold and wait for me to come out. I would think they would get board but they seem quite content (the only disagreeable thing is the poo at the door). Are they lonely?

2. GermanChick

GermanChick Songster

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    Must be a chicken "thing" ..... mine do the exact the same thing. We have 10 acres and they sit and poop on the front steps half of the day [​IMG]

3. Casey3043

Casey3043 Songster

I'm surprised they don't come in and grab sodas out of the refrigerator and go in and watch TV. You could make popcorn for them. They could watch Chicken Little.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Tiss

Tiss Songster

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Mine hang out under the deck until they hear the door open. My son has claimed one of the RSL, "Collar", as his own and she follows him up onto the front porch and stares in the sidelights at him. I caught her in the garage day before yesterday! [​IMG]

5. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    mine do the same thing [​IMG] they have 40 acres to roam but choose to sit and poop all over the deck in front of the door. [​IMG]

6. mama2many

mama2many Chirping

Jun 20, 2010
    That my friend is why mine can no longer free range.......DH said from the beginning there would be no chickens on the porch. He came home and they were in the garage. Chickies got relocated and a much taller fence. They don't care though, the kids and I visit 3 or 4 times a day. I wish they could be loose but they sit at the fence now waiting for me to come in. I couldn't take the pressure of 30ish pairs of chickie eyes peering in at me. YIKES![​IMG]

7. city kid farm

city kid farm Chirping

Apr 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Mine do that too except we have a glass door. At first I thought they were just checking themselves out like a mirror. But nope. They're sitting by the door waiting for me to come out. It drives the dog crazy - he hates them peeking in his door!

8. SeaHen

SeaHen Songster

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    Mine hang out on the back porch and a few sit on the railing so they can peer in through the window. If I leave the door open they invite themselves right into the kitchen. They're free to roam 9-1/2 acres during the day, but they prefer to stay right under my feet and poop all over the steps.

9. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I usually have 16 at the front door. The two babies who have graduated to the outside and the 14 who went outside a couple of months ago. I have seven who hatched in between the two groups, but they are pretty independent and like to explore. Wherever any one of them are, I cannot even sneak out the front door. They can here the front door open over the entire 3 acres. By the time it "clicks" shut, I have 60 chickens advancing on me demanding their treats.

10. Amyh

Amyh Songster

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    haha... this is what I use my hose for... it's always ready to squirt them if they get on my patio furniture because I will not have chicken poop on my butt!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by