Free Ranging Chickens In Mo :-)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kidsnchickens, Jul 25, 2013.

1. kidsnchickens

kidsnchickens Hatching

May 5, 2013
    Good morning! We r fairly new to chickens too. We have a beautiful flock of hens that are just starting to lay eggs ... Very exciting! They free range during the day on about 3 acres down a gravel road w/lots of big shade trees. Our problem is our rooster. He is a beautiful brown laced polish. Everytime I go to check for eggs or put them back in the coop he waits till I turn around n jumps on my back ... Not very nice & im worried about him doing it to the kids. Can our hens free range without him? What r everyone's thoughts? We really appreciate the input! =)

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, kidsnchicks, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! There seems to be two camps about roosters - those who swear by them as flock protectors and those who say their roosters only look out for number one and don't take on predators. Honestly, I'm not sure if a Polish rooster is much of a match against most things that would eat the hens. I think the hens will be fine on their own...or is fine as they would be with a rooster. Mine don't have a rooster right now and no problems. I guess what I mean is that in my opinion, if a big hungry coyote with chicken dinner on his mind charges my birds it wouldn't make any difference if I had a rooster or not. Just my opinion. Good luck to you!!

3. liz9910

liz9910 Crowing

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I would re-home the rooster, good luck to you.

4. kidsnchickens

kidsnchickens Hatching

May 5, 2013
    Thanks! We really appreciate the input. The rooster is headed to a new home next week, so we r going to try it w/o one. =)

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] too many good roosters available cheaply or even free, to put up with an aggressive one. Yes, they can be very dangerous to kids - because they are closer to the ground than adults

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Glad you were able to find him a new home! Welcome to the site :)

9. 4H gal

4H gal Chirping

May 26, 2013
    Welcome to BYC!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: