Free Ranging Chicks/Chicken Questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenlover09, Aug 24, 2014.

1. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    Hi everyone! So right now my chicks are about 1 1/2 months old and 2 1/2 months old. They seem to get pretty bored in their coop, so sometimes I let them run around a section of my backyard.
    When they get older, I want to freerange them when I am home, and put them in their coop at night.
    My backyard is a decent size, the fences are very low (only about 4 1/2 feet), and their are LOTS of trees. How do you free range your birds, without them getting stuck in a tree, and how do you put them back in the coop?

2. Skye727

Skye727 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    Mine free range when they decide to fly over the low fence which is fine. They always come back at night and put themselves to bed. Sometimes I have to get them out of a tree. I would let them sleep there if I was certain a raccoon wouldn't get them.

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    They should return to their coop each night as long as they know where it is. If they are not light and flighty breeds, you shouldn't have to worry about them flying into trees.

4. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    hi,our's free range too and always coop up at 8 pm,haven't had any excape yet,hoping they dont[​IMG]

5. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    Okay thanks everyone! Wehn they get older, i'll free range them. I might just in case put some bird netting to make the fences higher. I have neighbors, and they wouldn't be too thrilled if they woke up with a chicken in their yard. Also, this doesn't relate, but how many eggs do you think I would get a week with 3 silkies, and two laying hens (I think they are mixed breeds)? The weather is always above 70 F during the day , and is never lower than 60 F at night.

Thanks again for the help!

6. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    hi,we kept ours cooped for a week then let them free range they always go back to their coop ,we have 8ft privacy fences on 1 1/2 acre area where their coop is so they have alot of foraging area plus another 1 1/2 acre to follow us around,which they do,lol,enjoy them once they get used to where they are supposed to coop up try not to change their routine,they don't like change at least our's dont,have fun[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by