Free ranging chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Goldenpheasantlover, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Goldenpheasantlover

Goldenpheasantlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    England
    I'v just got a new hen and 2 chicks as every time i'v tried to hatch chicks they have either not hatched or been cockerals, the hen is called Henny Penny [​IMG] and I think is a Pekin and the chicks are Heinz 57, one grey and one brown. The chicks are anywhere between 6-8 weeks but havnt left mum yet, does anyone know when chicks leave their mum if left to free range all the time and not in a brooder??

2. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    My chicks are 9 weeks now and they still follow mom around all day. They all have run of the yard and mom has to keep peace from time to time from the rest of the chickens. The confrontation gets vicious from time to time.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  3. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    I have some that age that free range with my older chickens and they do great. Granted I have a fenced in yard with a 6 foot concret fence around it so they are totally safe.

4. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Sounds like a prison to me. Just watch out for the eagles and hawks. We have falcons here but they are smaller than the chickens so they don't bother them.

5. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    Nah, just a city lot, its good sized and they have plenty of room to play and a garden to eat bugs out of and take dust baths in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by