1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free Ranging Crested Chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Andora, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Is there anyone here who has a flock of crested breeds that they allow to free range? I really love crested birds, but the few I have seem so unfortunately stupid. I am 90% sure it's because their crest keeps them from seeing well. I gave one of my beloved buff laced Polish to a farm, and she was the only bird nabbed by a predator out of the flock of non-crested birds.

Do you think crested breeds are killed easier because they can't see danger approaching? I want to get a lot of cresteds, but if we move to some farmland this summer I will want my flock to free range and I don't want extra heartbreak when my sweet crested birds (which seem to make the greatest pets so we are more attached to them) get taken by predators! I know there's a good risk any chicken could get picked on or killed, but I'm curious if anyone else thinks crested birds are more susceptible? Any thoughts? One red flag to me is that the crested chickens are always the only ones my toddler can sneak up on and capture. [​IMG]

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I loved my crested bird and it was the first I lost to a predator- She would just forge ahead with no sense of fear. I thought she was brave, but upon reflection I really believe she couldn't see... She was also the easiest chicken to pick up, for the same reason. She was very sweet...

3. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I was afraid my worries would be true for others too. [​IMG]

Crested birds are so sweet though, aren't they? I know other chickens can bond as pets, but our crested birds have just been on another level! I can't decide if it's their personalities or if it's just because you have more chance to hold on them easier since they can't see. [​IMG]

4. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I wouldn't let my Polish hens range until I tied their crest up with elastics. They aren't so *stupid* when they can see. [​IMG]

5. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    It's too bad the the Polish are such easy pickings. I have 3 in my Seattle yard and I hope a hawk doesn't spot them. Does anyone have experience with hawks? Even though I am in urban Seattle, hawks and eagles are common along the I-5 corridor, 2 miles away. The hawks are red tails. What about racoons? Will they come into the yard during the day?

There are very sweet Birds (B's) and very good pets, we would be very upset to lose any of them.

6. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

both of my polish were taken. The one was a roo who was not used to being in a pen, flew up and out and managed to get eaten. My precious little Lauren had no fear of dogs or cats, so my guess is that something (a fox) walked up and took her or a hawk because she couldn't see.

She was a wonderful little bird and was so sweet, I wish I could get another, but am afraid of letting them free range!

7. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    [​IMG]

Poor slow crested chickens. I'm thinking if we do move to a farm I will have to build a big covered run for them somehow then let the non-crested chickens free range.

8. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I think they would do just fine in a covered run and they are really sweet!

9. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:Wouldn't be easy pickings if you tie their crest up with an elastic [​IMG]

10. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    LOL I might try that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by