1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free ranging dilemma

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicks Galore3, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I want to get 3 to 6 ducks in April and I would rather not house them with my chickens to help with mess control. However, there is not an easy way to connect the to-be duck coop to an outside run. The coop is basically a converted large horse stall inside of my barn, with no direct access to an outside door. Would the ducks be ok outside all day with no access to their coop? I would obviously have water stations around for them and there's plenty of sheltered spaces around the farm. Would they need food or places to lay eggs? I can see this plan probably won't work, especially not in the winter, but thought I'd ask.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What about a direct access to an outside wall? inside the stall, then you could cut in a pop door like for chickens but larger, all you'd have to do is close and lock at night, here is what I'm talking about.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by