1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free ranging ducks and locking them up at night

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tatswell, Oct 29, 2013.

1. tatswell

tatswell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    Good morning-
    I have two 5 month old female ducks, outside and free ranging since they were 2 months. Up until this last week they would stay close to home- foraging in my yard and in the stream behind my neighbors on both sides- By dusk they would often already be in their night time coop, ready for me to lock them up. This last week I have had to walk about 300+ feet down stream to find and walk them back in the dark.
    Could it be because I have not spent much time with them the past week? Should I keep them in their run longer or will that make them more antsy? I have also taken their kiddie pool out for the winter- perhaps they are being defiant because of that? Haha

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think they need their swim water, and some time when you can spend it with them might help. Also, having a treat party in the night shelter has helped us, too.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I free range the bulk of the ducks here, i keep all pools, feeds and water bowls in behind a fence that encircles 1/3 of acre that is where their duck coop is, this brings them back... they all return by dusk rarely do i have to find anyone. Actually getting into the barn i herd them in at dark.

4. tatswell

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    They have their drinking water at night, but I don't have a proper system set up yet for their pool in the run, so I thought taking it out for the winter would be best. I have one of those 4x4 frame pools- which they have had all summer- but without a proper draining/ cleaning system in place, it would be far too much to handle in the winter. Particularly when they are only in there at night. I am in the process of building them a house/ run (as opposed to the fenced in area with a dog house they have now). That will have a proper system in place.
    They used to be waiting for me in their run/coop at dusk. Although the last few days I have spent more time with them, checking in every hour or two and hanging around them. That has seemed to work.

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I understand the lack of pool however is drawing them to find water to play/bathe in elsewhere. That is why my pools are kept where they are close to housing as i always say a "draw in" appeal... but sounds like your in the works on improving so just keep being about... it can be hard in decent weather times to get ducks in, they are not like chickens and take to housing and roosting at dusk.

Come poorer weather times ducks usually do better at going in, i find mine do, good nights can be tricky, i try to leave mine out as late as possible hence the fenced area that way they are contained when it's dark.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  6. tatswell

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    Yeah makes sense. Are yours free ranged in a fenced in area? Mine are literally free, ranging, during the day. I do not have a border or fenced yard. They have their fenced in run and coop at night- but all day they are out roaming around. Often they do not go far.
    I suppose I should have been more prepared for the winter. I am hoping to get all the posts in the ground for their new coop and run before snow fall.This way I can work on the exterior and interior all winter and have them ready to move in by spring.

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    No, just their pen is actually 1/3 of an acre i have a gate i close come dusk so they are in a concentrated area, during the day they free range the farm.

8. tatswell

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    Sounds like a great place! Thanks for your feedback

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Thank you! i try. So far i haven't gotten any complaints. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by