Free Ranging Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by littlechick155, Nov 7, 2016.

1. littlechick155

littlechick155 New Egg

Nov 7, 2016
    Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me because I have 2 ducklings that are a month and a half old, one female black cuyuga and a Rouen drake. They are kept in a large duck coop/cage that we built for them in my garage, but we would like them to be able to wander around the yard under distant supervision, but they won't let us walk away from them. When we put them in the yard, they will follow us even if we try sprinting away from them when they're not paying attention. We ordered them from Metzer farms in California and they got to us at about 2/3 days old, super cute and fluffy. They've imprinted on each other, and on my boyfriend and me. We have a huge backyard, so lots of space for them to run around. It is getting cold right now, but there is still a warm day here and there. Any advice from someone more experienced than me would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    They'll eventually lose interest in you, but right now they look at you as mom. If your yard is fenced (I'm not sure how much space you have), you could just fill up a little pool or tub for them and leave out some food near it. Even if they tend to stay near you, they'll eventually leave your side and head towards the water and food once they know it's there. They'll love it and associate your backyard as a happy safe place to be. They'll start finding bugs and other goodies to eat, too, which will help them be more....ummmm....duckish.

1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

Mine are 8 months old and still wait for me when I go into the house.......As they get older they wont need you as much but will still love you around......

Cheers!!!!

4. cyriuskee

cyriuskee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2016
    Savannah, GA
    That is just too adorable chickens really. My pekins free range 24/7/365 on my pond which is quite a bit away and not able to be seen from the house but they make the trip up to the house every morning and every evening quacking away til I go out with food and hand feed them for a bit then walk them back to the pond to fill their bowls.
    Don't worry littlechick, Minnesota nice is absolutely correct. They'll start enjoying the pool and food and stay near to that area more and more, but will probably always follow you around if you're out in the yard.
    Enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  5. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Yeah they will stick pretty close to you until they are a bit more grown up. You're lucky that they like you so much

6. chickens really

Thanks so much, I absolutely LOVE my Ducks......Just as fun as puppies!!! I call them feathered puppies........

Enjoy those Ducks!!!

7. Welsh Ducky

Welsh Ducky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    My ducks are also free range, but the duckling dosnt let me get too close to her before she runs a little bit away, it's just her and my Pekin drake... though I would like to get more ducks.... is there a way to get her (duckling) to like me better and not be so scared? I got her from our friends farm and the kids would chase the duckling so I thinks that's why, because she is a khaki Campbell and I thought they were really social. Sorry.....stupid question :/

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  8. chickens really

When ducks are ducklings they all run away. They calm down as they mature.

Cheers

9. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Its hard to get them to like you if they didnt get a chance to imprint on you. Just keep spending time with her and worms and grub are irresistible. Once she knows what your holding, you cant keep her away.
    Khakis arent the most "pet" birds, theyre more egg/ meat, but with enough time and enough worms and such, they can get friendly enough so they will come running when they see you

10. Welsh Ducky

Welsh Ducky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    Ok, Thanks! :D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by