Free Ranging Ducks

3bird

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
Rockland, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Greetings all! Our seven silver Appleyard ducklings are now almost 7 weeks old and HUGE! They are living in the duckhouse and attached run, and most mornings we move them about 25 feet from the run to the fenced garden. In the evening, we move them back to the run. They've figured out that routine, and we're thinking we'd like to move them to other places on the property. We've read a bunch about free ranging ducks, and we are looking for a little additional feedback on how easy it is to move them when there is not a fence or other obstacles. We also a curious about if they will stay relatively put or go on walk-about. Ideally, we've got several other gardens on the property where we would like them to forage while we are working in that garden. What we don't want is the need to be chasing ducks all day instead of gardening. Should we be thinking about more fencing before having them free range? We'd appreciate any advice or comments. Thanks!

Our ducks and chickens are completely free ranged. We have no run attached to our coop, so as soon as they are let out they all go about their businesses. We are on some acreage, but all of the birds generally stay on the 2ish acres immediately surrounding our house on their own. The ducks are extremely easy to herd with or without fences, so I doubt you will have issues moving them.

Our ducks and chickens are completely free ranged. We have no run attached to our coop, so as soon as they are let out they all go about their businesses. We are on some acreage, but all of the birds generally stay on the 2ish acres immediately surrounding our house on their own. The ducks are extremely easy to herd with or without fences, so I doubt you will have issues moving them.

Thanks! Do you have predator issues?

We have lost a few chickens to predators...I think 4 total over 3 years. Three to hawks and 1 to something big enough to carry her off leaving only a pile of feathers behind. We have 2 farm dogs and the only time we have lost any to predators has been on days that the dogs have not been outside with them (two of the four when we were out of town)...the dogs are pets first and working dogs second, so if it is extremely hot, cold or very wet outside, they are inside with us. I love my flock, but I also am willing to risk the loss of one here and there to a predator to afford them the freedom they do seem to relish. This is our first year with ducks and we haven't lost any yet. We do have a sizable flock and run probably around 30 chickens at any given time. We have 11 ducks. Our property is also bordered on 3 sides directly around the house with lots of cedar and pine trees for wind break, so the birds tend to stay within that boundary and predators don't often come within that space because of patrolling dogs and crazy kids running through it day to day. Our set up is ideal for free-ranging and I realize that not everyone's set up will be the same, so you definitely have to take all of that into consideration.

We have lost a few chickens to predators...I think 4 total over 3 years. Three to hawks and 1 to something big enough to carry her off leaving only a pile of feathers behind. We have 2 farm dogs and the only time we have lost any to predators has been on days that the dogs have not been outside with them (two of the four when we were out of town)...the dogs are pets first and working dogs second, so if it is extremely hot, cold or very wet outside, they are inside with us. I love my flock, but I also am willing to risk the loss of one here and there to a predator to afford them the freedom they do seem to relish. This is our first year with ducks and we haven't lost any yet. We do have a sizable flock and run probably around 30 chickens at any given time. We have 11 ducks. Our property is also bordered on 3 sides directly around the house with lots of cedar and pine trees for wind break, so the birds tend to stay within that boundary and predators don't often come within that space because of patrolling dogs and crazy kids running through it day to day. Our set up is ideal for free-ranging and I realize that not everyone's set up will be the same, so you definitely have to take all of that into consideration.

Thanks. Your situation does sound ideal! We have a large-ish back yard bordered by small orchard on one side, barn on another, house on another and pine trees/thick scrub on the last. There are avenues for the ducks to move toward the street if they so chose, and there are trails going through the orchards and back in the woods. We're on the outskirts of town, but there is certainly plenty of wildlife around. Without a dog or guard geese, we do worry about a predator ambushing a duck, and with only seven ducks, we'd love to keep them all around. We are planning to expand some fencing today that will give them a fenced area outside the run and let them move freely between the run and the garden during the day. When we have them elsewhere on the property, I think it will be at times when we are working those areas as well, so we can keep an eye on them. We just don't want to have all our time chasing ducks instead of weeding/harvesting/etc. Thanks again for your response!

i have 12 ducks and 2 geese. i let them out in the morning and they graze in the yard. i trained the geese at a young age to come to me when called so if I'm in the yard they stay near me and the ducks follow. to get them in at night i fill the bucket with food and shake it while calling them. they come running ! sometimes if i forget to bring them in, they still go in instinctively and they're only 5 months. the geese are big and noisy so they let you know if something comes in the yard. my male Chinese ran after the neighbors cat the other day! very protective of ''his flock''! they will also take on a predator much bigger than them. great for protecting ducks and chickens. just have to socialize them with people so they don't bite you. ;) mine lay on the grass, at my side when im resting in the lawn chair.
they like to talk back to me when i talk to them. they're very smart for a bird!

i have 12 ducks and 2 geese. i let them out in the morning and they graze in the yard. i trained the geese at a young age to come to me when called so if I'm in the yard they stay near me and the ducks follow. to get them in at night i fill the bucket with food and shake it while calling them. they come running ! sometimes if i forget to bring them in, they still go in instinctively and they're only 5 months. the geese are big and noisy so they let you know if something comes in the yard. my male Chinese ran after the neighbors cat the other day! very protective of ''his flock''! they will also take on a predator much bigger than them. great for protecting ducks and chickens. just have to socialize them with people so they don't bite you. ;) mine lay on the grass, at my side when im resting in the lawn chair.
they like to talk back to me when i talk to them. they're very smart for a bird!
Thanks! We would love to go the goose route, but we were concerned a bit about the noise and our zoning. Did you raise the geese with the ducks?

Back
Top Bottom