Free Ranging Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PDurkin, Jan 27, 2011.

1. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    Hey everybody,

I have about 14 -- nineteen week old ducks. Many different breeds, and wanted to free range them when the snow finally melts. They have never free ranged before, but I think they will benefit. How can I train my flock to stay on the acre of land that I own (in a private neighborhood with little traffic, maybe 3 cars an hour) Will they go in there coop on there own at night?

2. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    its just the same as free ranging chickens. they do what they want and they go to bed by themshelf. i trained mine at 8 weeks to go to bed at night. that was the easy part. when you train them to go to bed just do at the same time veryday. they learn quick.

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    My ducks stay close to the houses and they venture out some they do just fine....

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Far more worrisome-how do you plan on controlling whatever will come into your yard hunting your ducks?

5. BarredBuff

Dec 6, 2009
    Quote:A good guard dog remedies that.....

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Only if you are lucky enough to have one who does not kill your birds once in a while.

7. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I think it comes down to breed. Some dogs were bred solely to act as Livestock guardians. The great Pyrenees is an excellent flock guardian.

I have a Great Pyrenees/Saint Bernard mix and I would trust him with any of my birds, any day. He lays in the yard while they nibble on his legs and fur. [​IMG]

8. BarredBuff

Dec 6, 2009

Only if you are lucky enough to have one who does not kill your birds once in a while.

If you kennel him he wont.........

9. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    That and I think if you get a puppy or a young dog and raise him around your birds, it helps too.

10. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    my dachshund was apotated at 2 years old never seen a farm animal before. after a week they were fine together. my dog never gets tied up / no kennels/no fences/ no under ground fences.. as my 3 cats they all rome free. they all share fresh water outside in summer when i get the hose out. they all drink outta the same water trough. will have to get pic this summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by