Free ranging etiquette

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by ArchersMom, Apr 2, 2018.

1. ArchersMom

ArchersMom Chirping

Dec 2, 2015
    I should preface this story by saying that I live outside city limits, but not in a truly rural area. There's a highway 50 feet from our street. Our property lines are about the same width as in a suburb, just deeper.

So we've lived in our current house for over 2 years. We've had minor issues with the neighbors geese and chickens. At one point, I had goose poop covering my front Welcome mat and a hen flew over the 6 foot fence that keeps our 3 trained bird dogs contained for potty breaks. The hen was lucky that I went out with them, called them off and was able to pick her off my bedroom window and out of danger.

Now we have our own free range chickens in our backyard. They don't leave the property as far as I can tell. We're on 3/4 of an acre and I go out 3-4 times a day to clean the coop, give treats or just check on them. Now the geese are gone, but the neighbors chickens are scratching in front of my house several times a day. I don't really want them in a space where my chickens might be on occasion, if we leave our side fence open. But more importantly, I'm about to invest in landscaping and I don't want them scratching in freshly laid back dust.

How do I approach them about the issue fairly?

penny1960 likes this.
  2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

that is a pickle.

Maybe bring it up from a safety standpoint.... " I am scared that when your chickens are in my front yard, since my dogs know that the yard is theirs, that my dogs will kill your chickens " :confused:

ArchersMom, bobbi-j and penny1960 like this.
  3. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    I like his idea be proactive fear for their safety

4. ArchersMom

ArchersMom Chirping

Dec 2, 2015
    That's what I did last year after the "hen flew over the fence" incident. Our front yard isn't fenced, so our dogs aren't out there unless we are. But still kind of dangerous for their chickens.

Btw, I realized their coop is within 5 feet of our property line next to the front yard. No wonder they're wandering over here so often. They got a new shed last fall and I didn't put it together that it's their new coop. They have one at the back of their property too that has a run. But it's very crowded with I think ducks and a pig too.

penny1960 likes this.
  5. Kruchti

Kruchti Chirping

Mar 4, 2018
    Galena, Alaska
    I would be proactive and let them know that their chickens are coming over and your dogs could get hold of them.

ArchersMom likes this.
  6. Alaskan

it sounds like you will always have issues :confused:

sorry. :hugs

penny1960 likes this.
  7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

May be not politically correct, but do you have a corner of your garden somewhere, away from your chickens that you could set up something to put their chickens in?

So, when they are trespassing, catch them and contain them; make the neighbour have to come and ask for them back which might then encourage them to take steps to not allow them to wander on to your property.

My concern would be what their chickens may possibly have in the form of lice, mites or diseases that they could be transferring to your chickens.

Or you could tell a little white lie that your chickens are ‘contagious’ and it would be best for them to not let their chickens on to your property ;)

Or, something you are using in your garden would not be healthy for their chickens to be scratching in??

ArchersMom, penny1960 and Alaskan like this.
  8. Alaskan

good suggestions!

Teila and penny1960 like this.
  9. Thyme4Chickens

Thyme4Chickens Songster

Mar 21, 2018
    SE WI (zone 5)
    Maybe shape a conversation with your neighbors along these lines?

- Common ground: chickens, free ranging
    - Concern: planning new landscaping, and we both know how destructive chickens can be to landscaping!
    - Would you be willing to help us find a solution?

I'm brand new to chickens so don't know what "solution" would be reasonable/feasible... see if your neighbors would clip their chickens' wings and then splitting the cost of a chicken wire fence between your yards?

Teila and ArchersMom like this.
  10. ArchersMom

ArchersMom Chirping

Dec 2, 2015
    Good suggestions. I do need to at least bring up trying harder to keep them contained. They sometimes walk up our driveway.

penny1960 and Teila like this.
  11. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    How about....
    Hey we're going to be investing in landscaping out front and I'd appreciate if you contain your chickens a bit better because I don't want them ruining it.

I don't see a reason not to be upfront and honest with a neighbor.
    If your concern is your landscaping then tell them that so there's no confusion.
    If its that you really just don't want them in your front yard then tell them that. You do have the right.
    If you tell them its about your dogs then they're going to be watching for that. The chickens are going to be in your flower beds scatching away but they're going to see your dogs aren't around and go on with their business.
    If they know its about the landscaping or being in your yard in general then when it happens they'll know your concerns and correct the issue with any luck.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: