Free ranging - food and water placement?

MrJesse34

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Long Valley
Looking to get my flock into some free ranging. They have food and water in their coop right now, that they make use of when they are both in the run or in the coop.

Once I start to free range them, do you think it would be wise to setup another watering station somewhere else, either in my yard or up near the chicken coop?

Any info would be awesome!

I leave the water & feeder inside the run and leave the door propped open for access. They free range and always come home when they are thirsty. I think this helps at night when I close them into their coop. I can start calling them and shaking their feeder and they know exactly where to run.

Quote:
How far do they range from the coop? I have an area that looks like this:

93580_chicken_coop_scenario.jpg

There is about 30-50 feet in between the coop and run, and our fenced in yard. Its on a hill that runs down from the coop to the yard. I was wondering if I should put up some kind of fencing to guide them down into the yard. And if I got them into the yard, if they would need water down there. Any thoughts?

Quote:
I'll second this. My flock ranges in 6 acres of pasture and they'll range around for a while, then periodically come back to the coop/run/barn area to rest in the shade and get a drink. Just prop open the run door and let them come and go as they want - they'll be fine.

My flock free ranges & stays under my porch alot. I have a bowl of water for them under the deck. I don't want them running back to the coop for a drink. Its really hot & dry here so I add a few cubes of ice to keep em cool & daily cold cucumbers. It usually hits a hundred here lately & its just June. Poor chickens & my other birds are miserable.

I also keep the feed and water on our covered porch. They drink from our big 5 gallon dog bowl. They ignore the chicken waterers, so I stopped putting them out.

One of my 6 week pullets waiting to get a drink
892f9044.jpg

I like keeping it on the porch b/c I can watch them when they come up to eat, and can keep a closer eye on them.

Last edited:
I just wanted to throw in my two cents here. My flock free ranges on 3 acres and they always have food and water available in their coop. That being said, I always keep a bowl of water at the other end of the property. That's the community bowl that the dog, cats, and chickens share. I've found they drink more out of that bowl than the waterer in the coop. I think it's a nice gesture, especially if it is hot, to have some water available somewhere other than the coop. I know when I work outside I bring a water bottle because I do not want to walk all the way back into the house to get a drink. Perhaps my chicks and I are spoiled
big_smile.png

I keep water outside and feed outside or in coop as I feel like it. Keeping water outside and feed outside gives them more room in coop. Having it outside also keeps them out more than in. Since I want them outside free ranging I leave water out in front of coop about 5 feet. I find they drink first then when let out then go range and then drink last when they come in. Also after laying they stop to drink. Works out well having it close like that, has help cut down on laying out of coop.

Back
Top Bottom